Weekly Thing for May 13, 2017
Welcome to the first Thing! I am trying a newsletter experiment and am excited to see how this develops. A while back I used to collect all my links for the week and publish that as a blog post. A number of people told me they really liked that but I didn’t really like it as a blog post. A newsletter seems like a great medium to use for that so I’m giving it a try and using that anchor to add some other content as well.
I'd love to hear your feedback and suggestions. Just reply to this email and let me know what you think.
Blog posts 📬
My friend and photographer Layne Kennedy was recently featured on Minnesota Original. I met Layne when I took his Wintegreen Dog Sledding workshop and he’s a great photographer, teacher and amazing story teller.
The Mapbox platform is powered by Amazon Web Services — specifically, most of our computing workloads run on AWS EC2. We’re in the process of wrapping up a company-wide migration (led by the Platform team) onto Docker, hosted on AWS ECS (EC2 container service).
Herewith some reportage on the most interesting cameras in the world, with opinions to provoke er entertain people who are up on this stuff, and a basic survey of the landscape for people who like pictures and wonder about cameras.
Step 1: Take inventory To understand what is actually happening in your life – which is a step you need to take in order to take control of what is happening in your life – take inventory. Do this first, before you make any changes.
iPad Diaries is a regular series about using the iPad as a primary computer. You can find more installments here and subscribe to the dedicated RSS feed. When I covered DEVONthink To Go in the first iPad Diaries column back in February, I briefly mentioned the app's limited support for URL schemes and automation.
However, “ladies” is not gender-neutral. Neither is “guys.”
"We created false accounts, with false content, as traps," Macron campaign digital director Mounir Mahjoubi told the Times. "We did this massively, to create the obligation for them to verify, to determine whether it was a real account."
Venture-back Field Nation is planning to move headquarters from one part of Minneapolis to the other, according to EVP Teri Calderon.
Congrats to my former colleague Marc! News Corp. announced Marc Frons as its new chief technology officer on Monday. Frons had served as interim CTO since October 2016.
Let’s say you need to return a book to the library by Saturday, May 13. If possible, you’d like to return it a few days early while you’re out running errands. Simple, right?
So Macron’s people, and specifically Mounir Mahjoubi, who I want to make sure and meet one day, claim to have fed APT28 false data in a “counteroffensive”. Maybe they have’ maybe they haven’t. Maybe they did something else entirely. Maybe it wasn’t them.
Developers, take note: Microsoft has released Visual Studio 2017 for Mac.
Mr. Comey, who is three years into a 10-year term at the helm of the F.B.I., learned from news reports that he had been fired while addressing bureau employees in Los Angeles. While Mr. Comey spoke, television screens in the background began flashing the news. In response to the reports, Mr. Comey laughed, saying that he thought it was a fairly funny prank.
Today Daniel Alm released Timing 2 for Mac, version 2.0 of his popular Mac productivity app. Over the last several months, I have definitely climbed on the timers’ bandwagon. I'm in the process of hiring people to help me out, and the first thing I needed to do was figure out where I was spending my time.
Google, never one to compete in a market with a single product, is apparently hard at work on a third operating system after Android and Chrome OS. This one is an open source, real-time OS called "Fuchsia."
Tradition Tuesday is a weekly feature where we explore the history, lore, and culture of the Dark Clouds. Confused about why we sing about Hot Nuts? Which Minnesota player coined “Nuts Of A Warrior”?
On Reddit forums that ask “What’s a dead giveaway that someone is American?” one trait comes up over and over again: big, toothy grins. Here’s how one Reddit user in Finland put it:
You might wonder how a critically acclaimed but relatively unknown singer-songwriter recruited Adele, Pearl Jam and Dolly Parton to cover her songs for a benefit album. But the biggest get on Brandi Carlile’s “Cover Stories,” made up of new renditions of the material on her 2007 album, “The Story,” comes from outside the music world: Barack Obama.
Microblog updates 🎈
- This Surly glass that my Todd the Axe Man came in is really cool. →
- Nice night. →
- Oh no! The dandelions have taken over the yard! →
- Outlook’s new built-in grammar checking is helping me realize I use the word “actually” way, way too much. Actually… →
- Andy @ajdomie and I right before kicking off yesterdays awesome #TechJam. #TeamSPS had a great day learning! →
- Crazy long and inefficient line at all-school picnic. →
- Tough choices: great beer or great beer? 🍻 →
- Wrapped up #TeamSPS #TechJam with Kubb, beer 🍺 and burgers 🍔! →
- Corbett sharing with #TeamSPS #TechJam the fundamental value of the SPS network. Bringing it home to wrap up the day! →
- Dan talking at #TeamSPS #TechJam about isolation and benefits to systems. Less friction! →
- Travis @travisjgosselin sharing the DevOps journey in our Toronto #TeamSPS office. #TechJam →
- Had a great time doing #TeamSPS VP Jeopardy at #TechJam! Good sports Kent @ktangen, Amy @pattonamyj and Paul @birkbeck. →
- Jez Humble @jezhumble giving remote keynote for #TeamSPS #TechJam on continuous delivery improvements! →
- Cool live coding and running it inside browser / presentation template. Nice! →
- TeamSPS Introduction to Go by Cody! #TechJam →
- Valentin from our Kyiv office presenting at #TechJam about migrating their service to microservices. #TeamSPS →
- Marcell sharing capabilities of the newest editions of Microsoft SQL Server. →
- Nate and Dan sharing how they are using serverless solutions to create scalable and efficient services. #TeamSPS #TechJam →
- Kicking off #TeamSPS Tech Jam community event. Great day of learning and sharing technology solutions ahead. →
- Looking forward to wearing my awesome #TeamSPS hockey jersey! →
- Espresso. →
- Go and express your support for strong net neutrality. Use this link and click on “express” link. gofccyourself.com →
- Took in a great Minnesota United win today with my friend Jim Bernard @bernardjim! →
- Retro. →
- If you work in tech it’s enlightening to sit at the Apple Genius Bar and just listen to the discussions. Things are still not easy and simple enough. →
- Repair trip to the Genius Bar. iMac has a broken spring on the hinge. One AirPod won’t pair. →
- Big effort today in spin class at Urban Cycle. →
- Morning Mojo: lemon, ginger and cayenne. Great way to start the day! →
- Importing 9,000+ tweets from my Twitter archive into my micro.blog @microdotblog. →
- If you mirror your micro.blog @microdotblog to Github suggest setting the topic to micro-blog so that others can find and compare. →
The end 🎬
My opinions are my own and not those of any affiliates. The content is non-malicious and ad-free, posted at my discretion. Source attribution is omitted due to potential errors. Your privacy is respected; no tracking is in place.